Tuesday, April 14, 2009

More shameless self-promotion

I have mentioned this to a few people already, but I am finally getting a moment to catch my breath and give a link to an on-line journal that graciously accepted one of my stories and has recently published it. The story, "The Living" is in the California College of Arts and Crafts lit mag, Eleven Eleven. You can find the link here.

Now, I don't know if the story is any good or not. And I do mean that sincerely. I am not sure how anyone ever can detach themselves enough from their own effort to view it objectively. The one thing I will assert, however, is that there is something more going on here, or maybe trying to go on here than the writer really knew. And I find that interesting.

Considering that I'm the writer.

8 comments:

  1. Before I read the story, I'll offer a piece of advice I have never come close to being able to follow myself in re attachment:

    Once the story is done, stick it in a drawer (or file it an electronic folder, I suppose), forget about it for now, and move on to the next one.
    ==============
    Detectives Beyond Borders
    "Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
    http://www.detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice. I have all kinds of things filed away in drawers of one sort or another, but whether they will be revealed to be fine wine or bad vinegar, or just sit there mouldering remains to be seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I should say here that neither you nor anyone else should feel any obligation to read the story. I've managed to get quite a few stories published now, one way or another, and my sense of detachment is fairly complete. I do feel that one should do their best for things, which often involves overcoming a certain reluctance, even detachment, so that's why I've mentioned it here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good advice, perhaps. I wish I could follow it myself.
    ==============
    Detectives Beyond Borders
    "Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
    http://www.detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you mean the detachment part, I didn't really mean it as advise. In general, I think its better to feel excited, nervous, apprehensive and enthusiastic than not, at least in regard to creative work. I think my stance is more a position of burnout than of any particular wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. May you feel rejuvenated soon!

    I meant the detachment is a good thing insofar as it lets you move on to the next story rather than obsessing over the previous one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Peter. Burn out in the writing life is an odd thing, and not one that I was really expecting.

    I think detachment about the last piece is really just facilitated by moving on to the next one. You don't wait to become unattached, you just ignore your attachment long enough to begin something new.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope one day to write enough that burnout becomes a possibility.

    ReplyDelete